(I'm currently redesigning the blog, as I do often; and I'm stuck on a background & theme. Watch this space for a better... look.)

Monday 13 May 2013

Getting There

I'm here, I'm in London, I'm safe. I live on the sweetest little road and it's Spring here so everything is in blossom. It's 5:39am but the sun is up and my body clock is still refiguring. There's a lot to write about but I'm still jet lagged so I'll just take it one bit at a time.

On Thursday I drove down to my grandparents house on the Central Coast. I stayed the night there and the next day we went into Sydney and they spoiled me rotten, of course. I had a great time doing all the touristy things, but it did feel a bit odd. Even though I kept checking my passport was still in my bag I kept forgetting I was leaving for England the next day. We walked from the Sydney Opera House (I'm going to miss seeing the Harbour Bridge. And the Southern Cross) through the Botanic Gardens where we had lunch. It was a beautiful day and I love Sydney. Every third person was going for a jog. We then went to the QVB. I love that clock.

But you want to hear about London!
Well on Friday night I stayed over at my Uncle & Aunty's house (we went to the Via Napoli restaurant in Lane Cove - fantastic place) and watched Mythbusters with my cousins. I got up at 2am to get to the airport by 3 and my Uncle very kindly drove me there. (Thanks Doug!!) The airport opened a few minutes after we got there so the queue was very short. There was only one cafe open. After customs though I had a Chai latte at Maccas and eventually made my way to the gate. I thought I'd use the loo before I boarded but I left my laptop in there... DUH idiot. It's OK I remembered it in time and it has stayed with me ever since.

Then I was on the plane and not one bit did I feel like sleeping. I watched Wreck-it Ralph (loved it), The Hobbit, some New Girl (yes Charlotte I know but I still don't want to watch anymore), Tangled, Hotel Transylvania, started Frankenweenie but it didn't grab me so I tried The Impossible - and that was a dumb idea. If you're leaving your family who you love immensely don't watch a movie about a family who is separated by the 2004 tsunami. I cried and it was a little embarrassing.

Dubai was terrific. I'll just paste here what I wrote to my Dad last night - Dubai airport was huge!!! I had to descend a zillion stairs to get to my gate and then CATCH A TRAIN to the A gates!! English signs everywhere of course. There were massive wall fountains and so many staff just standing around waiting for someone to ask them for help. I liked it, but I was literally sitting down for 2 minutes then boarding. Apparently I was on the biggest plane there is - A380. I could see out the window coming into Dubai and the houses were that lovely mix of creams and tans and all rectangular with flat roofs. As you got closer to the river there were more trees and nicer houses, then there was the city and the massive sky scraper. It was 32 degrees outside. I hope I stop over there again.

The next flight wasn't as long and I was next to a nice old couple. We were in the last row on the plane (88) which was kind of groovy because we got served stuff first and the toilet was just behind. I was on a window seat which meant I could watch the coastline of Saudi Arabia (I think?) and could see London when we'd descended. I managed to sleep for probably about 90 minutes all up.
I just ate a chocolate at 6:15am! There were no dramas at all at the airport. Once you know where to go and what you need to present it's all very simple. I went straight through the border no problems and found my bag. I'm not half as intimidated by airports anymore!

I'm all blogged out so I'll leave the rest for later today..

No comments:

Post a Comment