(I'm currently redesigning the blog, as I do often; and I'm stuck on a background & theme. Watch this space for a better... look.)

Saturday 25 May 2013

Monopoly names

When I went into the village post office this morning to top up my Oyster card (it's like a travel credit card for the tube and buses and stuff), I said "Can I put twenty dollars on please?" The guys laughed at me. "Oh psshf I meant pounds!" And on the way home I gave the lady at the supermarket two pennies instead of two 2 pence pieces (which are the same colour but bigger), I somehow got mixed up thinking they were Australian dollar coins and smaller meant more. It'll be good to have a debit card soon.
The tube was fun, it was actually above ground most of the way. I got out at Baker Street and then just meandered. I had no plan - just some cash and some snacks and my good old brown boots.

But you know what, London is just another city with tall buildings that are older than Sydney, buses that are redder and streets that are famouser (Marylebone etc.). I didn't explore very far today but it was still exciting to wander around for a few hours. I was going to get back on the tube to see some more famous sights but when I pulled out my phone to look at the map of the underground it was dead, and not battery dead but seemingly unrevivably dead. I was getting tired anyway so I went home again.

My phone still won't do anything so unfortunately I can't post any photos (not that I took heaps). I don't really feel like writing about it all right now, but I don't really need to say much more. While I was walking around I was thinking "What should I do so that I can blog about it?" - but really I should just enjoy it for myself and have more fun exploring than bragging.
I just watched Into The Wild. Though I'm not that guy, I definitely I prefer a park or garden to an old church or famous pedestrian crossing (no I didn't see Abbey Road). I'll go into the city again for sure - I only saw a tiny bit today - but what I really, really want to do is roam the country side. All the way up to Scotland and across to Ireland. And I have to go Yorkshire!

No comments:

Post a Comment