(I'm currently redesigning the blog, as I do often; and I'm stuck on a background & theme. Watch this space for a better... look.)

Thursday 22 August 2013

Scotland

The Train Ride

So I got on a train at Kings Cross and on the way there were fields with trees. At York the backpacker next to me got off and another older fellow got on. After he'd finished the paper we chatted for a bit, obviously I mentioned I was Australian and when we got to Newcastle he said "you'll see the Sydney Harbour Bridge in a minute," so I whipped out my phone. It's not a great picture but there it is. Apparently it's the same company built it. Hmm beautiful scenery.

I took some more photos when we got into Scotland - it's so pretty. The sea isn't emerald like the Central Coast, it's more grey but still a lovely blue. Pretty cliffs too. This little town was called Berwick-Upon-Tweed, I think.


Edinburgh

Eventually got to Edinburgh and hopped on a different train to get to where I was staying with friends-of-friends just outside the city. They're a lovely older couple and I just loved staying there. After dinner they took me to the bay. The sunset was beautiful in a grey and gold kind of way.
The next day I went into Edinburgh itself. What a beautiful city! I didn't take photos of everything but you really have to go there in August when the weather is perfect and the streets are alive with the fringe festival. And be prepared to walk up hills. The buildings are lovely, and the royal mile (fancy name for the street leading up to the castle) is great. I did my typical wandering style. Followed crowds and then just made it up. Calton's Hill you get amazing views of the city and the sea. I found an old cemetery which was a sight too. The hills in the distance were amazing in the sun, broken by the clouds. I went to the museum too, which was definetely worth it. I really couldn't be bothered deciding which photos to go in, and doing captions for all of them, so have fun scrolling! What I would do is click on this photo and then go through them in the slide show screen. I hope you get a small taste of the lovely day I had, and I shall post the rest of my trip shortly.

View from my bedroom window 
Scottish Monument I think





Edinburgh Castle





Cobblestones!






Some Abbey/Palace



















































Not paint - plastic


Edinburgh castle


Miners Terrace - Minas Tirith? Slightly funny, no?


The Royal Mile

Lunch buddy





No comments:

Post a Comment