(I'm currently redesigning the blog, as I do often; and I'm stuck on a background & theme. Watch this space for a better... look.)

Monday 10 June 2013

Leaf Blower Bandits

So now, I've finished for the evening and had a nice chat with the parents and aunty (it's Little Man's birthday and we had a lovely dinner) and I'm signing on to yatter out my post for this evening (which will actually contain an interesting anecdote) BEFORE I flick on the telly. Isn't that great? And a fantastically long sentence?
Sorry to those people I haven't replied to via email. It takes a different mindset to write more personally, and I want to do it when I'm fresh and perhaps with tea in hand.

You know, I'm called a nanny. But if you were to picture a nanny from a hundred years ago, or even now maybe, they wouldn't be part of the family like I am. They wouldn't be invited to the Christmas holiday in Spain. They wouldn't have a cup of tea with the kid's mum, or the relatives. I feel accepted. I've only just put my finger on that. I'm looking forward to meeting the kid's grandparents who have been in America since before I got here. I'm part of the network. I feel at home - almost.

Anecdote

I was walking to nursery to pick up Little Miss, and I saw a truck that was some kind of gardening maintenance business. I became aware of a grey-hooded fellow who was digging shiftily into the tray of the truck and looking mischievous. Then a white van (really!) pulled out from the other side of the truck and the guy shouted - he took a leaf blower out of the tray, looked around and laughed and got in the van. I'm pretty sure they saw me but I'd only just figured out what was going on. The van sped off (I know it's sounding silly but I'm serious!) and they honked and hooted as they turned the corner. I stepped into the yard of the house I thought the truck was at and rang the bell. No one answered so I stepped into the street. An old lady was there and she said "are you lost?" I said "no but do you know who that truck belongs to?" Then a young guy came out of the door and said "that's me sorry I'm just moving it" I said "no it's OK, well, um, some guys just took your leaf blower!" he said "really? Which way did they go?" (sounding really agitated obviously) "yeah, there was a guy in a grey hoodie and they got in a white van and drove that way. I didn't get the license plate or a picture I'm sorry" And he went off after them. I hope he found them or phoned the police. I felt stupid for not whipping out my iPhone and snapping them. Or running up and yelling "HEY! Whatcha doin' punks!?!" And then later I thought 'oh man, he might think I took it!' But I was wheeling Little Miss' scooter at the time so probably not. But I was wearing a grey hoodie... Oh my gosh I just googled "stolen leaf blower" and it's so common!! Bizarre.

Anyway there's some London drama for you. Hah.

No comments:

Post a Comment